- Matrix Transposition is an operation that converts one matrix into another.
- Each row in the original matrix is used as a column in the transposed matrix.
NotationThere are two main notations used to show that a matrix is transposed:
- Using a prime: the transpose of matrix A is A'
- Using a T superscript: the tranpose of matrix A is AT
import numpy as np
a = np.matrix([[3, 6, 2], [5, 1, 10]])
transposed = a.transpose()
- The order (or dimension) of a matrix is switched when transposing, i.e. a 3x2 matrix creates a 2x3 matrix.